Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 24, 2010

20 years old - Another Year Older, Another Year Closer to Death.

And I still can't rent a car.

Today is my 20th birthday. I used to get excited by my birthday but I've noticed the past couple of years that it's gotten pretty unexciting. A birthday nowadays is more or less an excuse to get completely wasted. As fun as that is, the consequence of getting a year older is that every year seems less and less important. There's a reason that time seems to go by faster and faster the older that you get. The more time you spend alive, the shorter a year is in relative terms. Man, when I turned 7, that was a big deal. Know why? Because a year was 14% of my life. Now a year only constitutes 5% of my life. That's barely significant at all. Every year that we tack on, the shorter a year gets in relative terms. Is it weird for me to be scared that I'm gonna wake up one day soon and realize that I'm 82? Nobody wants to be 82. That would suck.



A mostly unrelated picture that makes me smile. ---------->>>
Fuck off, it's my birthday. I'll put an unrelated picture if I want to.



Anyways, I just felt like complaining about something that everyone goes through and nobody can change. It's my party and I'll complain if I want to. Just saying, life is really fucking short. Every moment is very fleeting and it gets more fleeting the further along you go. I'll write a blog sometime soon about the nature of time. In the meantime, I'm going to work on the massive post that I keep promising and haven't finished. Not that anyone really cares if I keep my promise or not...

Also, here's a picture of an adorable kitty.


UPDATE:
Earlier I mistakenly wrote that 1/20 is equal to 0.5. This is entirely incorrect. A year in the life of a 20 year-old is actually equal to 5%. But one day, when I turn 200, it'll be equal to 0.5. With medical technology, I don't think that's entirely unreasonable.

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. You are such a pessimist!
    Ever think another year older is another year lived and loved? How do you know 20 years old is only 0.5% of your life? What if you die tomorrow? Maybe you won't live until you are 82 after all.
    My birthday is in a couple weeks and I'm excited cause a) my friends are coming down b) yes i will be able to get wasted and c) its a whole day about me. Maybe that makes me sound self absorbed but that's what birthdays are about: you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, James, I know you're a Philosophy major, but you do realize 0.5% of 20 years is approximately 36.5 days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was literally halfway through writing a message on your Facebook wall, as is the norm, but then decided it would be so much COOLER on your blog instead. So Happy Birthday.

    (Also, I too noticed an issue with the 0.5% of 20 years. But it's your birthday, so I'm prepared to look the other way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you must be really pessimistic to have written this on your birthday...

    Didn't you have anything better to do instead of being a Debbie Downer? If your life is so short GO LIVE & ENJOY IT while you still can. It doesn't have to involve alcohol if you don't want it to, like you said, the day is about you so decide what you want to do.

    I really hope you found some way to have fun... Because if this was your party... all i can say is i feel sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete